I can see clearly now the rain is gone. I can see all obstacles in my way. Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind. It’s gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day.I Can See Clearly Now – Jimmy Cliff
Alcohol is not healthy for anybody ever, especially when there is excessive consumption. Period. I know there are articles that say a glass of red wine can have heart benefits but you know else benefits heart health? Exercise and a fiber-rich diet. So, no. No one will ever, ever convince me that alcohol does anything but harm our bodies, minds, and spirits. So, since I quit drinking, here are some of the benefits I’ve noticed about myself.
- On the Physical Level:
- Nails!!! Something small that I didn’t even notice before. They were brittle, weak, and had lots of white spots in the nails. Now, they are strong, soft, pink, and beautiful.
- Clearer, brighter, radiating skin
- NO MORE BLOATING OR PUFFINESS!!
- Losing weightSleeping more soundly
- Stronger, brighter, shinier hair
- Clear, bright eyes and no bags under my eyes
- I get sick less often; my immune system is stronger
- On the Mental/Emotional Level:
- I am less reactionary, I think before I speak/act
- I genuinely listen more to other people
- My emotions have evened out (along with acupuncture and herbs).
- Specifically, I am less irritated and angry for no reason. I am less “on-edge”
- My mind is clearer, sharper, my concentration and memory has improved
- I am more productive, motivated, honest, creative, and genuine
- On the spirit level:
- I have more self esteem, self confidence, and self respect
- I am more optimistic, it’s easier for me to see the joy in life than it was before
- I am more caring and empatheticI am no longer comfortable with complacency- I want to try new things and push myself out of my comfort zoneI am more self-aware.
- I know what I want and what I don’t want, what I need, and what I deserve. I don’t settle.
- I am more independent
- I don’t dwell on the past anymore, instead I have a vision for my future – I set goals for myself
- I have true, genuine, deep, and meaningful friendships and conversations with people – I get to know them on a deeper level.
As important as it is to write down all of the things not to miss because of drinking, it’s equally as important to write down all of the things to love since quitting. Everday, I realize a new gift that sobriety gives me. Being sober is something to be proud of because it means taking control over our choices, actions, and our life. Celebrate both big and small accolades because it’s all worth it in the end.